Catastrophic bearing failure was the main cause of this spindle malfunction Continue reading to learn how Northland Tool performed this repair and converted a Weiss GHK 176239 spindle from grease-injected to permanent grease lubrication……Read More
HEALD SPINDLE REPAIR
Northland Tool has been repairing Heald spindles — also known as Red Head spindles — since 1979. Over our 40+ years of spindle repair, we have incorporated many design changes to improve Heald spindle life, accuracy, lubrication, rigidity, and speed.
James N. Heald was an early 20th-century innovator in the design and building of grinding equipment for the automotive industry. Heald invented a rotary grinder for the sides of piston rings, plus internal grinding machines with a planetary action that overcame many of the problems common to grinding methods of the time. His designs were so well-developed that many of his concepts survive in the grinding machines used today.
Heald Common Issues
From coolant contamination to bearing failure to crashes, Northland knows that there are a variety of issues that can affect the performance of your spindle, and we’re prepared to handle them all. Some common issues that Heald spindles encounter include:
- Damage from crash
- Excessive belt tension
- Pilot damage
- Pulley damage from tool change
- Worn housing bearing bores
- Worn shaft bearing journals
- Worn treads
Spindle Repair Process
Quote & Scheduling
Assembly & Delivery
- Upon arrival, we log every spindle into our production tracking software system and any issues associated with transit are noted.
- Our technicians then carefully break down the spindle into its component parts, note their general condition as well as specific damage, and perform a full dimensional inspection to identify excessive wear.
- Our production manager performs a second evaluation, during which he/she will try to identify the cause of failure, consult with the head of our grinding and machining departments, and determine any recommendations for preventative measures.
- Our purchasing department sources all replacement part costs, determines lead times, and generates a quote.
- Our team gives the quote a final check and communicates it to the customer for approval.
- Following the customer’s approval, we schedule production and order any parts needed for the repair.
- We carefully clean all parts of the spindle and complete any necessary grinding or machining operations.
- Our highly trained technicians then assemble all spindle components and perform a rigorous break-in process. This includes dynamic balancing and thermal/vibration analysis.
- After our inspectors perform a final quality control check, our shipping department carefully boxes the spindle and returns it to the customer.
1 Year Warranty
Our competitive 1 Year Warranty policy ensures that proper workmanship and parts free of defect are used in the repairing or rebuilding of every spindle. The warranty begins as soon as the repaired spindle is shipped from Northland Tool, and is valid for a period of 12 months thereafter. We will replace any parts that prove to be defective under normal use and correct any improper workmanship at no charge to the customer. Please see our full warranty terms for more details.