Possible cause of failure:
• Front bearing quad set failed from coolant contamination, full of coolant sludge.
• Front shaft journal is very fretted and undersized where the #1 bearing sits (-18/-19)(iso is +/-4).
• Taper is worn and has a 20 micron hole.
• Front housing is oversized +8/+18 tapered (iso is +/-7).
• Rear roller was a double row of rollers with one row or rollers taken out.
• Clean, inspect overall dimensions.
• Replace bearings,o-rings,bellvilles,gripper balls
• Grind chrome plate and finish grind the taper.
• Grind chrome plate and finish grind the front journal.
• Grind chrome plate and finish grind the front housing.
• Adjust preload, balance, assemble and break in. Final quality control inspection.
Does your spindle need repair? GET A QUOTE TODAY
Catastrophic bearing failure was the main cause of this spindle malfunction
Continue reading to learn how Northland Tool performed this repair and converted a Weiss GHK 176239 spindle from grease-injected to permanent grease lubrication…