An email we received from our customer:
We been running the spindles for about a month now, runs great. Ya’ll are batting a .1000 right now 3 for 3 spindles running with no problems. Very satisfied, and thanks for checking in.
Possible cause of failure:
• Spindle arrived with the drive pulley loose, it has been running loose for a while. The pulley id and shaft od are severely fretted from being run with it loose.
• Rear shaft threads are damaged from the pulley nut being loose.
• Actuator draw tube is severely rusted and pitted were the o-rings sit and the tube itself behind the o-ring grooves.
• The id taper and were the draw tube o-rings ride is also severely rusted and pitted(this will eat o-rings and allow tooling coolant to enter through the nose into the draw tube cavity)(we’ll clean and use as is).
• Rear pulley nut face was damaged by the actuator bolts when the nut loosened, missing the locking star washer. Actuator, draw tube was supplied-but no tooling.
• Rotary union should be replaced (it’s also used to pressurize the actuator).
• Came in without the alignment pin in the lathe taper face.
• Clean, inspect overall dimensions.
• Replace bearings,o-rings & seal.
• GPG pulley journal oversized, finish grind pulley id to match oversized pulley journal.
• Kiss grind od lathe taper and face.
• Weld/machine new rear threads.
• Machine a new rear shaft pulley nut spacer.
• Due to the extensive pitting of the drawbar tube od, and the shaft id-customer should remove the tube and re-lubricate to help prevent additional pitting.
• Adjust preload, balance, assemble and break in. Final quality control inspection.
**Due to the extensive pitting of the drawbar tube od, and the shaft id-customer should occasionally remove the tube and re-lubricate to help prevent additional pitting.**
Does your spindle need repair? GET A QUOTE TODAY
Catastrophic bearing failure was the main cause of this spindle malfunction
Continue reading to learn how Northland Tool performed this repair and converted a Weiss GHK 176239 spindle from grease-injected to permanent grease lubrication…